Starting October 7, 2010 I begin a new way of life, with the AmeriCorps NCCC, serving the western region of the United States. This is a large change for me, not only physically, but mentally and emotionally as well. I have quit my job, taken a temporary (possibly permanent) leave of absence from the East Granby Fire Department, and have left my family, friends, and most of my possessions behind. Although only for 10 months, I hope it will change my future, as I attempt to better the lives of my fellow Americans! This is my story...




the following blog entries are the thoughts and compilations of myself, and in no way reflect that of the AmeriCorps as a whole.




Friday, December 17, 2010

By the way...

In case you were wondering where to send me stuff now.. I'm back in Sacramento, so use this address again!

Matthew A. Spears, Class 17 CM,  Gold 4
AmeriCorps NCCC
3427 Laurel St.
McClellan, CA 95652


And,  I just realized that I haven't made a post about what Gold 4 is doing next round, after Christmas break!  I am really excited about this!  We finally get trained for Red Card Wildland Firefighting Certification.  This is going to last 2 (maybe 3) weeks in length, after which we are staying in Sacramento, and working in El Dorado, CA with the BLM (Bureau of Land Management).  We will be working on fire lines (breaks in the forest to prevent the spread of wildfires if and when they occur).  This work will include clearing brush, falling and chipping trees.  I'm really excited to work with the BLM and start my networking, hoping for a job with either the BLM or the Forest Service after AmeriCorps.

El Dorado, CA is according to WikiPedia, is one of the most prestigious residential areas in Northern CA.  Check it out online!  The center of town looks like a castle!!  We won't be working in town, but the area is settled in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada Mountains... ie GORGEOUS country!!!!!!!   YAY!!!!

More info to come, probably over break when I get time to look it up!

No comments:

Post a Comment