Starting October 7, 2010 I begin a new way of life, with the AmeriCorps NCCC, serving the western region of the United States. This is a large change for me, not only physically, but mentally and emotionally as well. I have quit my job, taken a temporary (possibly permanent) leave of absence from the East Granby Fire Department, and have left my family, friends, and most of my possessions behind. Although only for 10 months, I hope it will change my future, as I attempt to better the lives of my fellow Americans! This is my story...




the following blog entries are the thoughts and compilations of myself, and in no way reflect that of the AmeriCorps as a whole.




Saturday, April 16, 2011

St. Dorothy's Rest... and beyond

For the past few weeks, my team and I have been cutting trees and burning the brush.  This is all in effort to help the Redwood Forest become healthier, by clearing the non-Redwood trees.  This is primarily being performed on a hill with at least 60% grade.. with very unstable dirt... sure is fun!!!  However, last week, Dad you would have been proud of me!  I designed, fabricated, built, and installed a rear-window protector for the work truck.  It consisted of a metal grate with supports, which were bolted to the truck frame.  This was in effort to prevent the rear window from being busted out by logs being thrown into the bed of the truck... it happened to the last team that was here.. not ours, and hopefully never again!  The material costed about $60, and we borrowed a welder from a friend (for a 6-pack of beer), and about 2 days of work for me... compared to $300+ for buying an aftermarket one.. I'd say a job well done!

I just finished a meeting with Katie (the director of St. Dorothy's) and she wants me to kind of head a project which HAS to be done before the team leaves for Spring Break on Thursday.  There is a cabin on St. Dorothy's property, which used to be inhabited by squatters, who used the house as a weed growing greenhouse.  When we got here, the squatters had just moved out, so it was our job to do some demo and carpentry work to get the house back into livable conditions.  We were getting things done at a decent pace, while continuing work on the hill and fire.  The exterior and interior were primered and painted, floors torn up, and cabinets fixed and repainted.  However, after this meeting, I just found out the house is going to be lived in right after Easter.  So she looks to me to lead the project and make sure the following things get done (along with the help of Kevin - friend of Bens and part time employee at St. Dots):  demo ceiling in one room, remove baseboards, clean out all furniture etc., clean house to prep for floor, install floor, finish painting interior, install tub in new bathroom, help with construction of new bathroom, help with install of new shower in old bathroom... and a few other small stuff...  And we have to get it all done before, like I said, we leave on Thursday afternoon...  fun is!  Speaking of spring break, I'm going home for three days - well almost 4 - in hopes of meeting my niece who is due April 25!!!   I'm so excited!!!!!

Side note:  We found out where we are going for our 4th and final round of NCCC.  We will be stationed in Camptonville, CA, working in the Tahoe National Forest, with the US Forest Service.  Although Camptonville is not near Lake Tahoe, we could be on spike anywhere within the forest, or anywhere within our region really, if there is a big fire.  I'm really excited about the possibility of being sent on a wildfire with the US Forest Service!  Living conditions could change with the fire season, but in the beginning we will be staying in barracks (supposedly) at the Forest Service office.  This project will really be a great way to make contacts for life after AmeriCorps...

I just realized I haven't posted any pictures from St. Dorothy's or the area I'm currently... so check these albums out!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment