Starting October 7, 2010 I begin a new way of life, with the AmeriCorps NCCC, serving the western region of the United States. This is a large change for me, not only physically, but mentally and emotionally as well. I have quit my job, taken a temporary (possibly permanent) leave of absence from the East Granby Fire Department, and have left my family, friends, and most of my possessions behind. Although only for 10 months, I hope it will change my future, as I attempt to better the lives of my fellow Americans! This is my story...




the following blog entries are the thoughts and compilations of myself, and in no way reflect that of the AmeriCorps as a whole.




Tuesday, September 14, 2010

T - 23 days

First post... here we go!  Presently, time seems to be going by pretty slow as I await information on my plane ticket to Sacramento.  However, looking back, it seems like it was just yesterday that I actually finished my application and sent it in.  I guess it's just perspective.  So why am I doing this!?  Why am I making all these sacrifices (job, family, friends, home, etc) to go spend 10 months volunteering, without the definite outcome of a job or career?

Youth.. it's wasted on the young!  NOT ME!  I'm only 23, theoretically have no ties to really anywhere, and I want to do what I want to do!  I want to help people.  I always have, ever since being a Boy Scout or a cadet on the East Granby Fire Department at 16 years old.  The AmeriCorps is a great way to help Americans who need it most!  Just like with the fire department, the AmeriCorps will be helping people on what they might consider their worst day, EVER.  I want to make a difference, in their lives, and mine.

As for the outcome of a job or career at the end of this adventure... well, I'll be working on that as time goes by.  I know where I want to end up, career-wise, not location-wise.  The path to get me there is what has to be determined.  All I know right now is that it is going through AmeriCorps NCCC.

No comments:

Post a Comment