It's been only two days and I'm having an amazing time, meeting some amazing people! Alot has been paperwork, and getting ready to start training, but overall it's been a lot of fun! We have been broken up into 8 person "pods", which are temporary teams until the permanent teams are formed. Coli is my team leader, and she is a fun individual who always has a smile on her face. But I don't want to be late to something, because I'm sure she has a mean side somewhere! I have two roommates. The second, Brandon, just showed up today, so I haven't really gotten to know him yet. But Nate is fun and exciting.
Contrary to what I was told before coming, I do NOT have wireless internet anywhere on campus, except a cafe, of which I haven't checked out. So as of right now, I don't have Skype capabilities. :(
After some careful deliberation, I have decided to apply for the FMT, the "fire management team". The application was simple enough, and there is a physical test consisting of a 3 mile walk, that has to be completed in under 45 minutes with a 45 pound vest on. The FMT is on call 24-7, after getting red-card certified, to respond to wildfires in our region when called upon. When there are no fires, or our assistance is not needed in the field, the teams will be clearing brush, cutting trees, and doing community education. The teams will work along side national agencies, like the the US Forest Service and the BLM of California. There is a very good opportunity for job-placement fighting wildland fires, after the AmeriCorps if I get accepted into the FMT!
Anyway, things are really fast paced here. Barely any down time. We go from meeting, to meeting, to meeting and eat (of which we will have to start cooking for out pods starting tomorrow). We received our uniforms today. They consist of khaki type cargo shorts and pants, with t-shirts and collared shirts. They are really picky on our appearance when it comes to our uniforms, which we have to wear every day. Physical training starts Tuesday 5:30 am.. fun fun fun!!
I've been too busy to take pics, but I will eventually. Have a good night!
Starting October 7, 2010 I begin a new way of life, with the AmeriCorps NCCC, serving the western region of the United States. This is a large change for me, not only physically, but mentally and emotionally as well. I have quit my job, taken a temporary (possibly permanent) leave of absence from the East Granby Fire Department, and have left my family, friends, and most of my possessions behind. Although only for 10 months, I hope it will change my future, as I attempt to better the lives of my fellow Americans! This is my story...
the following blog entries are the thoughts and compilations of myself, and in no way reflect that of the AmeriCorps as a whole.
the following blog entries are the thoughts and compilations of myself, and in no way reflect that of the AmeriCorps as a whole.
No comments:
Post a Comment