Starting October 7, 2010 I begin a new way of life, with the AmeriCorps NCCC, serving the western region of the United States. This is a large change for me, not only physically, but mentally and emotionally as well. I have quit my job, taken a temporary (possibly permanent) leave of absence from the East Granby Fire Department, and have left my family, friends, and most of my possessions behind. Although only for 10 months, I hope it will change my future, as I attempt to better the lives of my fellow Americans! This is my story...




the following blog entries are the thoughts and compilations of myself, and in no way reflect that of the AmeriCorps as a whole.




Saturday, October 30, 2010

Bret Harte Elementary School

Last Thursday, my team and I, went to Bret Harte Elementary School in Sacramento to do a service project.  The project involved moving concrete masonry blocks to form retaining walls for the garden the school was installing.  The garden, when finished, is to teach the kids at the school about plants, nature, and the importance of the environment and it's role on the production of food!  The school wants to use the food produced from the garden in it's daily lunch program, so the kids eat healthier and grow up to live healthier lives!

The actual project was harder than anticipated due to the level of the ground.  But we got a lot done in one day, and the garden is that much closer to completion.

For those of you who don't have facebook (ie Mom), check out the photos from the day at this link.

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment