Big news!!! We found out last night where we are going for our first spike (project). My team, Gold 4, has been assigned to Green River, Utah. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_River,_Utah
In this small town of about 900 people, located in eastern Utah, we will be working with the Boys and Girls Club, primarily doing after-school activities. However, the rest of our time will be devoted to bettering the town of Green River and its citizens. Possible projects could include working/managing the thrift store, demolition of dilapidated buildings, rebuilding them, or really anything else the town needs. Once again, as appropriate with NCCC ways, we are kind of going into this blindly, it feels to me that way at least. I mean, there is plenty of work to do there, it is very possible for it to change daily, however. Which is awesome, because I don't want to be doing the same thing everyday.
Green River is located approximately 14 hours from Sacramento. NCCC regulations state that a driver can only drive for 2 hours at a time, after which they must switch to another driver. After 10 hours, the team must stop and rest for the night. So what could take one long day, will be broken into two shorter days... gotta love the government!! We are planning on stopping into Salt Lake City on our way down, for a tour of some sort; which will be cool! I'm still researching the area, but so far I found that Arches National Park is really close by, for some awesome hiking and maybe camping! Also, we will be going there at the beginning of winter, so winter sports are always a possibility!
Our living accomodations will be a 4 bedroom house, with laundry and small kitchen on site. Departure date is tentatively November 4 or 5, with a return on December 14 or 15. Internet accessibility in Green River is unsure, so we'll have to see about that one later on. Other than that, information is scarce, but I'll keep you informed as I find out anything.
Also! We were assigned team jobs tonight. Each team has a bunch of positions to fill, including things like media representative, community outreach liason, and peer helper. For the most part, on my team, each person was assigned two roles. I was given VST (vehicle, safety, and tools) as my primary job, with Photographer Rep as my second. I will be trained on the positions in detail tomorrow but for the most part I already understand the responsibilities. The VST is where I take care of the van (and cargo truck later on in the year), the tools that we carry with us, ensure the proper training is given to use all tools, and that proper safety is followed at all times. And the Photographer is obvious too. I take pictures of the team throughout the year, keep records and journal entries for the pictures and help make the yearbook at the end of the 10 months!
Starting October 7, 2010 I begin a new way of life, with the AmeriCorps NCCC, serving the western region of the United States. This is a large change for me, not only physically, but mentally and emotionally as well. I have quit my job, taken a temporary (possibly permanent) leave of absence from the East Granby Fire Department, and have left my family, friends, and most of my possessions behind. Although only for 10 months, I hope it will change my future, as I attempt to better the lives of my fellow Americans! This is my story...
the following blog entries are the thoughts and compilations of myself, and in no way reflect that of the AmeriCorps as a whole.
the following blog entries are the thoughts and compilations of myself, and in no way reflect that of the AmeriCorps as a whole.
No comments:
Post a Comment